Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Book Review: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo


'Harriet Vanger, a scion of one of Sweden's wealthiest families, disappeared over forty years ago. All these years later, her aged uncle continues to seek the truth. He hires Mikael Blomkvist, a crusading journalist recently trapped by a libel conviction, to investigate. he is aided by the pierced and tattooed punk prodigy Lisbeth Salander. Together they tap into a vein of unfathomable iniquity and astonishing corruption.'


This is one of those books that I've picked up multiple times but just haven't committed to buying it. I'm not sure why. I just wasn't 100% sure if I was going to like this book or not. I'm glad that I finally bought it because it was great. And I know everyone and their mother has read the book but I just had to see what all the buzz was about. (That's what I did with The Hunger Games and I loved those books.) 

I felt that the beginning was a bit slow, though I read though it pretty fast. It was filled with lots of details about the characters which was nice because you got to know them and be part of their life. But I was dying to get to the mystery surrounding Harriet Vanger. I do love me a great mystery/murder novel. I was hooked after reading the about the day that she disappeared and had to keep reading. The further Mikael went in the rabbit hole that is the Vanger family the better the book got. 

I don't want to spoil the book or anything so I won't go into detail about certain scenes or the ending. But let me just say that as much as I loved how Mikael and Lisbeth figured about the mystery about Harriet I just wish that it had been a different story. (SPOILER: Deep down I wish that she had been murdered by a member of the Vanger family.) The closer between Lisbeth and Mikael got the more I wanted them to be together. I think they make a great detective pair and it just goes to show you that it doesn't matter how you look because you never know what's deep down. 

I would definitely recommend this book to anyone that is looking for a new read and is looking for a thrill ride. I'm planning on reading the other two books in the series, The Girl that Played with Fire and The Girl that Kicked The Hornet's Nest. I'm excited because I know the other two books will be fantastic just like this one. 

If anyone else has read this book, I would totally love to discuss it. 


Christina 

No comments:

Post a Comment